The three goals of Project Alpha programs are:
1. Sharing Knowledge by combating ignorance and fear with factual information.
2. Changing Attitudes by providing motivation toward positive changes in sexual behavior.
3. Providing Skills by creating a sense of empowerment and self-esteem.
Project Alpha week, which started in 2000, targets the second week of October every year. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. chapters all across the country execute the program with their local March of Dimes to implement Project Alpha programs.
– Provides education for young males 12-15 years old on sexuality, fatherhood and the role of males in relationships.
– Motivates young men to make decisions about their goals and values, and act in ways that support their decisions.
– Builds young men’s skills through role-playing. Utilizes appropriate male role models and mentors.
The Project Alpha curriculum focuses on five key topics:
– Responsibility, Respect and the Role of Males in Relationships
– Adolescent Pregnancy and Fatherhood
– Protecting Yourself and Your Partner
– Sexually Transmitted Diseases
– Intimate Violence in Relationships